Re: Multibyte support and accented characters

От M. Bastin
Тема Re: Multibyte support and accented characters
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
>How do I tell what encoding the
>program I'm entering the data with (currently FileMaker Pro on a Mac) is
>using?

(I've done 10 years of FMP development and am in the process of
switching to REALbasic in combination with PostgreSQL.  It's a nice
coincidence I answered your post.)

FMP for Mac uses an encoding known as MacRoman.

I have written a small REALbasic app that can do the encoding
conversion of a tab-separated text export from FMP for Mac, to a file
suitable for a pgSQL COPY.

I haven't really tried it out though for anything else than basic
stuff.  The only potential issue I can think about is how tabs and
returns, *inside* FMP fields, would be handled.

I can build you that converting app, just tell me which OS you want.
(OS X, or Classic? -- or Windows?  Naaa.).  Then you can experiment
with it and tell me how it works, and whether you need further
conversions for those tabs and returns, *inside* FMP fields, if you
have these.

>Maybe using a Content-Type meta tag like the one Dreamweaver automatically
>inserts in everything? The default one it uses is <meta
>http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> - I
>presume I'd just change iso-8859-1 to unicode?

I don't know enough about HTML to help you here, but it sounds like
that's all there would be about it.

(I'm into native OS client apps, nothing browser based.  I hate the
way browsers handle data, how they can only return, say 50 records
per page, and then you have to load the next one and so on, and most
of all I hate the way M$ does everything in its power to make sure
nothing works perfectly cross-platform.)

>...have said codes all memorized, the way I do from making web
>sites for 6-7 years.

Wow, if I ever have a web question, I know who to ask!  ;-)

Marc